Lung Health Awareness and Disease Prevention Event
MEGA Lungs Health Education Model: Walk through the giant inflatable lung display!
Meet the Expert Presentations: (Available via Mayo Clinic Facebook post-event)
9:15 - 10:00 a.m.
How do we reduce lung cancer mortality in the next decade?
- Otis Brawley, MD, Chief Medical Officer, American Cancer Society (ACS)
- Ellie Beaver, Minnesota Government Relations Director, ACS - Cancer Action Network
- Carla J. Nelson, Minnesota State Senator, (R) District 26
10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
Clearing the Air on E-cigarettes, Nicotine and Tobacco
- Therese Shumaker, M.S., M.A., Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Program Director Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center
12:00 - 12:30 p.m.
Lung Health: Answers from the Top of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Bruce Johnson, Ph.D., Consultant, Cardiopulmonary Physiology & Performance Lab, Mayo Clinic
12:30 - 1:00 p.m.
Healthy Lungs Research Project: the Environment, Lifestyle and Genetic Links in Lung Health
- Courtney Wheatley, Ph.D., Research Associate, Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic
Education Exhibits and Activities: (9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
- Ask the Expert: Discuss your lung cancer questions with provider experts; available 11-12 p.m.
- American Cancer Society: Find information to promote a healthy lung environment locally and nationally
- Breath Work with Gentle Yoga: Participate in 15-minute interactive wellness sessions; available 12-1 p.m.
- Healthy Lungs Research Project: Be proactive about your lung health, learn how to be a study participant
- Nicotine Dependence Center: Learn about risks of first, second and third hand smoke, e-cigarettes, & vaping
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Education Center: Learn about lung cancer prevention, treatment and research
- Olmsted Public Health Dept: Protect yourself from harmful environmental exposures
- Wortman Lung Cancer Foundation: Register for the November 4th Walk/Run event and #First2Burst balloon Challenge in-person or by visiting https://wortmanlungcancerfoundation.org/